Born: 9 September 1974
Died: 7 July 1999
- He was an officer of the Indian Army, posthumously awarded with the Param Vir Chakra, India’s highest and most prestigious award for valour, for his actions during the 1999 Kargil War in Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
- He led one of the toughest operations in mountain warfare in Indian history.
- He was often referred to as ‘’Sher Shah’’ (“Lion King”) in the intercepted messages of the Pakistan Army.
- In the 2003 Hindi film LOC Kargil, based on the entire Kargil conflict Abhishek Bachchan played the role of Captain Batra.
- He is also well known in India for using the slogan, Yeh Dil Maange More! as his signal to communicate mission success.
- He is also honoured with several landmarks being named after him:
The historic capture of point 4875 led to the mountain being named ‘Batra top’ in his honor.
A hall at Service Selection Center Allahabad is named ‘Vikram Batra Block’, a residential area in the Jabalpur Cantonment is called ‘Captain Vikram Batra Enclave’ and the combined cadet’s mess at the IMA is named ‘Vikram Batra Mess’.
(Visited 70 times, 1 visits today)
September 9, 2018