Vasant Ranchhod Gowarikar
Born: 25 March 1933
Died: 2 January 2015
- He was an Indian scientist.
- He was a director in the Indian Space Research Organization and also the scientific advisor to the Prime Minister of India in 1991–1993.
- He made valuable contributions to the fields of space research, weather, and population.
- He was well known for his monsoon forecast model as he was the first scientist to develop an indigenous weather forecasting model that predicted the monsoon correctly.
- He had worked with the Indian Space Research Organisation.
- He was involved in space research in an early career under Vikram Sarabhai when his office was in the building of the local St Mary Magdalene Church in Thumba in Kerala.
- He pioneered solid propellant development and later served as Director of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) between 1979 and 1985.
- He also served as the scientific advisor to Prime Minister of India P.V. Narasimha Rao from 1991 to 1993.
- He had also been the Secretary of the Department of Science and Technology.
Click here for more details
(Visited 107 times, 1 visits today)
March 25, 2020