Born: 13 July 1953
- He is an Indian poet, lyricist, and novelist working in the Tamil film industry.
- He is a prominent figure in the Tamil literary world.
- A master’s graduate from the Pachaiyappa’s College in Chennai, he first worked as a translator, while also being a published poet.
- He entered the Tamil film industry in the year 1980, with the film Nizhalgal, an Ilaiyaraaja musical, directed by P. Bharathiraja.
- During the course of his 40-year film career, he has written over 7,500 songs and poems which have won him seven National Awards, the most for any Indian lyricist.
- He has also been honored with a Padma Shri, a Padma Bhushan, and a Sahitya Akademi Award, for his abundant literary output.
- During the stint of his under-graduation at Pachaiyappa’s College in Chennai, he was acclaimed as a speaker and poet.
- In his sophomore year, he published his first anthology of poems, titled Vaigarai Megangal (‘Clouds at Dawn’), at the age of nineteen.
- The book was prescribed as part of the curriculum in the Women’s Christian College, giving Vairamuthu the distinction of being a writer whose work was part of a syllabus, while he was still a student.
- He completed a 2 year Master’s program in Arts in the field of Tamil literature at the Madras University.
Click here for more details
(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)
July 13, 2020