Tripunithura Viswanathan Gopalakrishnan
Born:11 June 1932
- He popularly known as TVG, is a Carnatic and Hindustani musician from Chennai.
- He was awarded the Madras Music Academy’s Sangeetha Kalanidhi in 2014.
- He hails from a family of musicians spanning over two centuries.
- His father was a court musician for the Cochin Royal Family.
- He is one of the rare musicians who is equally proficient in both Carnatic and Hindustani Vocal, mrudangam and violin.
- He started playing the mridangam at the age of four and had his arangetram at the Cochin palace at the age of six.
- He is one of the seniormost disciples of Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar.
- Hailed as an innovator of Indian Jazz, TVG has toured all over the world with the legends like George Harrison, Bob Dylan, John Handy, Ravi Shankar, Ustad Alla Rakha, etc.
- He has also collaborated with drummer/composer Franklin Kiermyer, Don Peake, Seigfried Kutterer and Carola Grey on many occasions.
- He was given the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1990.
- He has been awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India in the year 2012.
- In 2018, he was awarded a doctorate by Bharatidasan University for his research on the topic “Layathwam in Carnatic music”.
click here for more details
(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today)
June 11, 2019