Tonse Madhav Ananth Pai
Born: 30 April 1898
Died: 29 May 1979
- He abbreviated: T. M. A. Pai, , was an Indian doctor, educationist, banker and philanthropist, most well known for building the university town of Manipal, India.
- He was first to start a private, self-financing medical college offering MBBS in India.
- He established the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal in 1953 and Manipal Institute of Technology in 1957, which was followed by a string of other education institutions including Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Manipal Pre-University College.
- He, along with his brother Upendra Pai, also established Syndicate Bank originally in Udupi, Karnataka, which has its headquarters now in Manipal and Bangalore.
- He was responsible for its popular Pigmy Deposit Scheme.
- He was conferred the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1972.
click here for more details
(Visited 181 times, 1 visits today)
April 30, 2020