Thikkurissy Sukumaran Nair
Born: 16 October 1916
Died: 11 March 1997
- He was a Nagercoil born Malayali Indian poet, playwright, scriptwriter, lyricist, orator, film director, and actor, though he is best known as an actor in Malayalam cinema.
- He is the recipient of Padmashri from the Government of India, which is one of the highest civilian honors in India.
- In a career that spanned about 47 years, he acted in over 700 films.
- He is considered to be the First movie star in Malayalam cinema.
- He launched his career as a playwright.
- His plays Mareechika and Kalakaran were hugely successful.
- He then went on to write three more—Sthree, Maya and Sariyo Thetto—that revolutionized the professional play scenario in Malayalam.
- He replaced the melodramatic romantic musicals, which ruled the roost till then, with dialogue centered prose plays having themes of realism and social importance.
- The success also made Thikkurissy the first superstar of Kerala.
- Jeevitha Nauka was dubbed into four languages including Hindi.
- In 1952, he acted in Navalokam with a socially significant theme with Miss Kumari, who would later become the pet of the masses after the success of Neelakkuyil (1954).
- Navalokam did not make it big at the box office, but he cemented his superstardom with a big hit in the same year.
Click here for more details
(Visited 198 times, 1 visits today)
October 16, 2019