Born: 22 July 1923
Died: 28 August 1990
- She was an Indian actress who is recognized for her work in Hindi as well as Bengali cinema during the 1940s and 1950s.
- She is most remembered for her role in the 1952 Hindi film Mamta directed by Dada Gunjal.
- She was the recipient of BFJA Award for Best Actress for two times.
- She was one of the exquisite beauties of her time and has been regarded as the most beautiful woman of her time by veterans such as Pradeep Kumar and Uttam Kumar.
- She was born of a rich Brahmin family in 1923 at Shiuri, in Birbhum, West Bengal.
- At her teenage, she was immensely influenced by the beauty and stature of the veteran actress Kanan Devi and aspired to be an actress.
- In 1943 she was summoned for an interview and look test in the office of New Theatres and was finally cast opposite K. L. Saigal in Hemchander Chander’s Meri Bahen (1944).
- During the making of this film she was offered to play the lead in Apurba Mitra’s Bengali film Sandhi (1944) which happened to be her debut film.
- The film achieved enormous success and won her the BFJA Award for Best Actress in 1945.
- In the late 1940s she established herself as a leading actress of Bollywood with roles in films such as Vasiyatnama (1945), Bhai Dooj (1947), Oonch Neech (1948) and Vijay Yatra (1948).
- She was adulated for her role as a single mother in Gunjal’s Mamta (1952).
- Filmzack wrote, “She manipulated all her magnificent characteristics to vivify her role; her calmness, her softness, pain and pang and all were infused into one.”
- She was further acclaimed for her role in films such as Deewana (1952), Ghungroo (1952), Mayurpankh (1954), Chor Bazaar (1954) and Jagte Raho (1956).
Click here for more details
(Visited 26 times, 1 visits today)
July 22, 2020