Shital Mahajan Rane
Born: 19 September 1982
- She is an Indian extreme sportsperson, skydiver, and holder of eight world records in the sport.
- She is known as the first woman to perform an accelerated freefall jump over Antarctica from 10,000 feet, the youngest woman to jump over both the North and South Poles, and the first woman jumper to perform it without trials.
- The Government of India honored Mahajan in 2011, with the fourth highest civilian award of Padma Shri.
- She is the first woman to perform a free fall jump over the South Pole, which was completed on 15 December 2006.
- She also became the first woman to perform successful jumps over the North and South Poles, without trials, when she completed her jump over the South Pole.
- The attempt also made her the youngest woman to achieve the feat at the age of 24.
- The first Indian woman to perform a wingsuit jump, Mahajan is a US certified A, B, C, and D skydiver, and trainer and is the first Indian civilian woman diving coach.
- She was a part of the team that created a world record as the first team to perform a free-fall parachute jump over Antarctica.
- She has also led a team of 85 Indian skydivers to achieve a record for maximum tandem jumps in an hour, the jumps performed on 25 August 2014 in Spain.
- Her jump from 13000 feet performed on 19 April 2009 is also a record for the height in women’s category.
- She is also credited with a free fall jump from a hot air balloon at 5800 feet and a jump at 24000 feet.
Click here for more details
(Visited 74 times, 1 visits today)
September 19, 2020