Born: 13 February 1879
Died: 2 March 1949
- She was an Indian independence activist and poet.
- She was born in a Bengali Hindu family at Hyderabad and was educated in Chennai, London, and Cambridge.
- She married Dr. Govindarajulu Naidu and settled down in Hyderabad.
- She took part in the National Movement, became a follower of Mahatma Gandhi and fought for the attainment of Swaraj.
- She became the President of Indian National Congress and later she was appointed to the Governor of the United Provinces, now Uttar Pradesh. Known as the ‘Nightingale of India’.
- she was also a noted poet. Her poetry includes children’s poems, nature poems, patriotic poems and poems of love and death.
- She also wrote poetry in praise of Muslim figures like Imam Hussain.
click here for more details
(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)
February 13, 2019