Born:13 May 1916
Died: 21 August 2004
- He was an Odia poet, novelist, short-story writer.
- He received Jnanpith Award, the highest literary award of India, in 1986.
- He was popularly known as Sachi Routray.
- He started his writing career through ” patheya ” (1st poetry) in 1932.In 1943.
- He became very famous among Odia readers when he published Baji Rout, a long poem that celebrated the martyrdom of a boatman boy who succumbed to the bullets of British police when he refused to take them in his rickety boat to cross the river Brahmani.
- He was a prolific poet and published as many as twenty anthologies.
- His Pallishri, dealing with village life in Odisha, is as successful as his poem Pratima Nayak that portrays the suffering and the predicament of a city girl.
- He belonged to a group of writers who called themselves ‘poets of the people’.
- He also published a few poems with religion as their theme.
- “Chhota Mora Gan Ti” was written by him. This topic is now taught by most of the teachers in Odisha.
- He recieved Padmashree in 1962 ,Sahitya Akademi Award in 1963 for the poetry Kabita-1962,Soviet Land Nehru Award in 1965.Jnanpith Award in 1986.
- Lifetime fellowship (kendra sahitya academi) – 1988 ” Mahakabi ” samman-1986 – Rourkela, 1988 – Cuttack President – Nikhil Bharat Kabita Sammelan – Kolkata (1968), Rourkela (1988) Sahitya Bharati Award – 1997.
click here for more details
(Visited 386 times, 1 visits today)
May 13, 2019