Born : 20 January 1948
- He is an Indian playwright and theatre director, and the winner of Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1987, one of leading figures of the “theatre of roots” movement in Indian theatre, which started in the 1970s.
- He Also known as Thiyam Nemai, he is known for writing and staging plays that use ancient Indian theatre traditions and forms in a contemporary context.
- A former painter, and proficient in direction, design, script and music, he is often considered one of leading contemporary theatre gurus.
- Presently he is working as Chairperson of prestigious National School of Drama.
- He had also worked as Vice-Chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi before joining NSD.
- He has also worked as Director of National School of Drama from 1987 to 1989.
- He is also the founder-director of ‘Chorus Repertory Theatre’, formed on the outskirts of Imphal, Manipur in 1976.
- He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction in 1987, given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama, and the Padma Shri given by Government of India in 1989.
- He was awarded the 2012 Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship, the highest honour in the performing arts conferred by the Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama.
- In the year 2013,he receives honorary D.lit from Assam University, Silchar.
- India needs many more regional schools of theatre: saind in ZEE News.
click here for more details
(Visited 59 times, 1 visits today)
January 20, 2020