Pusarla Venkata Sindhu
Born: 5 July 1995
- She is an Indian professional badminton player.
- Having made her international debut in 2009, she rose to a career-high ranking of no. 2 in April 2017.
- Over the course of her career, she has won medals at multiple tournaments including Olympics and on the BWF circuit including a gold at the 2019 World Championships.
- She is the first Indian to become the Badminton World Champion.
- She broke into the top 20 of the BWF World Ranking in September 2012 at the age of 17.
- Beginning in 2013, she won a medal at every world championships, with the exception of 2015.
- She is just the second woman after Zhang Ning to win five or more medals at the world championships.
- She represented India at the 2016 Summer Olympics, becoming the first Indian badminton player to reach a final.
- She won the silver medal after losing out to Spain’s Carolina Marin.
- With earnings of US$8.5 million and $5.5 million respectively, she made the Forbes‘ list of Highest-Paid Female Athletes in 2018 and 2019.
- She is the recipient of the sports honour Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, and India’s fourth-highest civilian award, the Padma Shri.
- She was also honoured with Padma Bhushan, the third-highest civilian award in India, in January 2020.
Click here for more details
(Visited 52 times, 1 visits today)
July 5, 2020