Born: 4 February 1943
- She is an Indian classical Bharata Natyam dancer.
- She is also a research scholar, choreographer, music composer, musician, teacher, Indologist, and author.
- She is famous in India as well as abroad; several films and documentaries have been made in her honor by countries such as Japan, Australia, and Russia.
- She is well known as the developer and founder of the dance form Bharata Nrithyam.
- She is a devotee of the Paramacharya of Kanchi.
- She has taught in Monfort Rukmani Devi, Maharaja Aagarsen and various other schools in the years 2009 to 2011 and imparted knowledge to the children.
- She holds a bachelor’s degree in Music, a Master’s degree in Ethnomusicology, as well as a Ph.D. in Dance under the guidance of Kuthur Ramakrishnan Srinivasan, noted archaeologist and a Padma Bhushan recipient.
- Her Ph.D. was based on the 81 karanas idepicting Bharatanatyam movements.
- She has received Padma Shri in 1981 and Padma Bhushan in 2003, which are among the highest civilian awards of India.
- During her dancing career, she has received more than 100 awards.
Click here for more details
(Visited 145 times, 1 visits today)
February 4, 2020