Ottaplakkal Neelakandan Velu Kurup
Born:27 May 1931
Died:13 February 2016
- popularly known as O. N. V. Kurup or simply and endearingly O. N. V., was a Malayalam poet and lyricist from Kerala, India, who won the Jnanpith Award, the highest literary award in India for the year 2007.
- He received the awards Padma Shri in 1998 and Padma Vibhushan in 2011, the fourth and second highest civilian honours from the Government of India.
- In 2007 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by University of Kerala, Trivandrum.
- He was known for his leftist leaning.
- He was a leader of All India Students Federation (AISF).
- He died on 13 February 2016 at KIMS hospital in Thiruvananthapuram due to age-related illnesses, aged 84.
- He received the Jnanpith Award, India’s highest literary award, for the year 2007.
- He was the fifth Jnanpith laureate from Kerala and the second Malayalam poet to win the prestigious award.
- According to a statement by Bharatiya Jnanpith, the trust which presents the award, he began his career as a “progressive writer and matured into a humanist though he never gave up his commitment to socialist ideology”.
- He was settled at Vazhuthacaud in Thiruvananthapuram, with his wife Sarojini, who was also his student in his early days.
- His son Rajeev works with the Indian Railways Authority, and daughter Dr. Mayadevi is a noted gynaecologist in Aster Medicity, Cochin.
- Malayalam playback singer Aparna Rajeev is his granddaughter.
click here for more details
(Visited 60 times, 1 visits today)
May 27, 2019