Born:4 June 1936
Died:21 February 1991
- She was better known as Nutan, was an Indian film actress.
- In a career spanning nearly four decades, she appeared in more than 70 Hindi films, many in starring roles.
- Regarded as one of the finest female actors in the history of Indian cinema, she was noted for playing unconventional parts and her performances often received praise and accolades.
- She holds the record of five wins of the Best Actress award at Filmfare, which was held only by her for over 30 years until it was matched by her niece Kajol in 2011.
- In 1974, she was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- The daughter of filmmaker Kumarsen Samarth and film actress Shobhna Samarth, Nutan started her career at the age of 14 in the 1950 film Hamari Beti, directed by her mother.
- In the 1980s, she started playing character roles and continued working until shortly before her death.
- She portrayed mostly motherly roles in such films as Saajan Ki Saheli (1981), Meri Jung (1985) and Naam (1986).
- Her performance in Meri Jung earned her a sixth and last Filmfare Award, this time in the Best Supporting Actress category.
- She died in 1991 from breast cancer.
- She was noted for her willingness to play unconventional roles and several of her roles were labelled “path-breaking”.
- M.L. Dhawan from The Tribune wrote: “When squeakers and screamers ruled the roost, she fine-tuned her dialogue delivery with an evocative voice.
- A natural throw was the hallmark of her dialogue delivery.
click here for more details
(Visited 92 times, 1 visits today)
June 4, 2019