Born: 4 January 1931
Died: 13 October 2004
- She was an Indian actress who had appeared in Hindi films.
- Noted for her portrayals of tragedy and sorrow, she was idolized for her acting ability and was often called the “Queen of Misery” in Hindi film circles.
- She was active from 1946 to 1999 and was best known renowned for playing motherly roles.
- She appeared in over 250 films and won three Filmfare Awards throughout her career, as well as being nominated for one.
- In 2004, she received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award.
- In 1946, she and her husband responded to an advertisement in a Gujarati paper looking for actors.
- She was selected and started her acting career with the Gujarati film Ranakdevi.
- The same year she acted in her first Hindi film Amar Raj.
- One of her popular films was Do Bigha Zamin (1953).
- She largely played mythological characters in the films of the 1940s and 50s.
- Her image of a goddess was very strong and people would visit her home and seek her blessings.
- Among her co-stars were Trilok Kapoor (with whom she played in eighteen movies)), Bharat Bhushan, Balraj Sahni, and Ashok Kumar.Click here for more details
(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today)
January 4, 2020