Born: 1 June 1929
Died:3 May 1981
- She also known by her stage name Nargis, was an Indian film actress, who starred in classic films of Bollywood.
- Regarded as one of the greatest actresses in the history of Hindi cinema, she made her screen debut in a minor role at the age of 5 with Talash-E-Haq (1935), but her acting career actually began with the film Tamanna(1942).
- In a career that spanned three decades, she appeared in numerous commercially successful as well as critically acclaimed films, many of which featured her alongside actor Raj Kapoor.
- She was the younger sister of the well-known actor Anwar Hussain.
- Her best-known role was that of Radha in the Academy Award-nominated Mother India (1957), a performance that won her the Filmfare Award for Best Actress.
- She would appear infrequently in films during the 1960s.
- Some of her films of this period include the drama Raat Aur Din (1967), for which she received the inaugural National Film Award for Best Actress.
- She married her Mother India co-star Sunil Dutt in 1958.
- Together they had three children, including the actor Sanjay Dutt.
- Along with her husband, she formed the Ajanta Arts Culture Troupe which roped in several leading actors and singers of the time and held stage shows at border areas.
- In early 1970s, she became the first patron of The Spastic Society of India and her subsequent work with the organisation brought her recognition as a social worker and later a Rajya Sabha nomination in 1980.
- She died in 1981 of pancreatic cancer, only three days before her son Sanjay Dutt made his debut in Hindi films with the film Rocky.
- In 1982, the Nargis Dutt Memorial Cancer Foundation was established in her memory.
- The award for Best Feature Film on National Integration in the Annual Film Awards ceremony is called the Nargis Dutt Award in her honor.
click here for more details
(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)
June 1, 2019