Narendra Deepchand Hirwani
Born: 18 October 1968
- He is a leg-spin bowler who played for India.
- He is mainly remembered for his success on his Test debut.
- His debut was in the final Test of the series at Madras.
- The wicket was underprepared. India won an important toss and made 382.
- He took three of the five West Indian wickets to fall on the second day.
- On the third morning, He clean-bowled Vivian Richards with a googly which the batsman failed to pick and dismissed the remaining four batsmen to finish with 8 for 61.
- This made him only the fourth bowler to take eight wickets in an innings on debut.
- Set 416 to win in the second innings West Indies were dismissed in about 40 overs.
- The batsmen tried to hit out, the result of which was five stumpings for the wicket-keeper Kiran More.
- He took 8 for 75, for match figures of 16 for 136.
- This bettered the record of Bob Massie who had taken 16 for 137 on his debut in 1972 and is still a record to date.
- More success followed in the home series against New Zealand the next year.
- The pitches afforded spin; He took 20 wickets in three Tests, and his partner Arshad Ayub 21.
- In his first four Tests, he had taken 36 wickets, the most by any bowler at this stage of their career.
Click here for more details
(Visited 21 times, 1 visits today)
October 18, 2019