Mrinalini Vikram Sarabhai
Born: 11 May 1918
Died: 21 January 2016
- She was an Indian classical dancer, choreographer and instructor.
- She was the founder and director of the Darpana Academy of Performing Arts, an institute for imparting training in dance, drama, music and puppetry, in the city of Ahmedabad.
- She received many awards and citations in recognition of her contribution to art.
- She trained over 18,000 students in Bharatnatyam and Kathakali.
- She married the Indian physicist Vikram Sarabhai who is considered to be the Father of the Indian Space Program in 1942.
- She has been awarded by the Indian government with the national civilian awards Padma Bhushan in 1992 and the Padma Shri in 1965.
- She was honoured with the Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa (LittD) by the University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK in 1997.
- She was also the first Indian to receive the medal and Diploma of the French association Archives Internationales de la Danse.
- She was nominated to the Executive Committee of the International Dance Council, Paris in 1990 and awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship, New Delhi in 1994.
- She was presented with a gold medal by the Mexican Government for her choreography for the Ballet Folklorico of Mexico.
click here for more details
(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)
May 11, 2020