Born: 1 March 1983
- Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte, better known as Mary Kom is an Indian Olympic boxer from Manipur.
- She is the only woman to become World Amateur Boxing champion for a record six times, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the seven world championships.
- Nicknamed Magnificent Mary, she is the only Indian woman boxer to have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics, competing in the flyweight (51 kg) category and winning the bronze medal.
- She had also been ranked as No. 1 AIBA World Women’s Ranking Light Flyweight category.
- She became the first Indian woman boxer to get a Gold Medal in the Asian Games in 2014 at Incheon, South Korea.
- She is the first Indian woman boxer to win gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- On 26 April 2016, Kom was nominated by the President of India as a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
- In March 2017, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, appointed Mary Kom along with Akhil Kumar as national observers for boxing.
- After her sixth world title, the Government of Manipur has conferred on her the title “Meethoi Leima” (loosely translated as a great or exceptional lady) in a felicitation ceremony held at Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in Imphal on 11th December 2018.
click here for more details
(Visited 55 times, 1 visits today)
March 1, 2019