Manoj Kumar & Azim Hashim Premji
Born: 24 July 1937
- He is an Indian actor and director in Bollywood.
- He is remembered for his versatile performances in films like Hariyali Aur Raasta, Woh Kaun Thi?, Himalaya Ki God Mein, Do Badan, Upkar, Patthar Ke Sanam, Neel Kamal, Purab Aur Paschim, Beimaan, Roti Kapda Aur Makaan, Dus Numbri, Sanyasi and Kranti.
- He is known for acting in and directing films with patriotic themes and has been given the nickname Bharat Kumar.
- In 1992, he was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- India’s highest award in cinema, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, was bestowed upon him in 2015.
- As a youngster, he admired Dilip Kumar, Ashok Kumar and Kamini Kaushal and decided to name himself Manoj Kumar, after Dilip’s character in Shabnam (1949).
- After making a little-noticed début in Fashion in 1957, Manoj landed his first leading role in Kaanch Ki Gudia (1960) opposite Saida Khan. Piya Milan Ki Aas and Reshmi Roomalfollowed, setting the stage for the Vijay Bhatt-directed Hariyali Aur Raasta (1962) opposite Mala Sinha.
- He then appeared with Sadhana in Raj Khosla’s Woh Kaun Thi (1964), and reunited with Vijay Bhatt and Mala Sinha in Himalaya Ki God Mein (1965).
- He and Raj Khosla repeated their successful Actor-Director partnership with the film Do Badan, which was remembered for many reasons, including Raj Khosla’s direction, Manoj Kumar and the heroine Asha Parekh’s excellent display of histrionics, an outstanding musical score by Ravi and immortal songs by the lyricist Shakeel Badayuni, among others.
- Like many other Bollywood stars, Kumar decided to enter politics following his retirement. Before the 2004 general election in India, he officially joined the main nationalist party of India, the BJP.
Click here for more details
Azim Hashim Premji
Born: 24 July 1945
- He is an Indian business tycoon, investor, engineer, and philanthropist, who is the chairman of Wipro Limited.
- He is informally known as the Czar of the Indian IT Industry.
- He was responsible for guiding Wipro through four decades of diversification and growth to finally emerge as one of the global leaders in the software industry.
- In 2010, he was voted among the 20 most powerful men in the world by Asiaweek.
- He has twice been listed among the 100 most influential people by TIME Magazine, once in 2004 and more recently in 2011.
- He is currently the second richest person in India with an estimated net worth of US$21.5 billion as of May 2019.
- In 2013, he agreed to give away at least half of his wealth by signing The Giving Pledge.
- He started with a $2.2 billion donation to the Azim Premji Foundation, focused on education in India.
- In 2005, the Government of India honored him with the title of Padma Bhushan for his outstanding work in trade and commerce.
- In 2011, he has been awarded Padma Vibhushan, the second-highest civilian award by the Government of India.
- In April 2017, India Today magazine ranked him 9th in India’s 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list.
Click here for more details
(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today)
July 24, 2019