Born:28 April 1848
Died:4 February 1934
- He was the first graduate and advocate of Odisha.
- He was born in the village of Satyabhamapur, 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Cuttack, Odisha.
- He is known as Kulabruddha, which means Grand Old Man, Madhu Babu, and Utkala Gouraba, which means Pride of Utkal, and was referred to as a poet and freedom fighter.
- In 1870, he became the first Odia to complete his B.A.
- He continued his studies at Calcutta and earned his M.A. in 1873, and an LL.B degree in 1878, thus becoming the first scholar from Orissa to be thus educated.
- He Known as ‘Madhu Babu’ by the common people, he worked for the political, social and economical upliftment of the people of Orissa and worked as a lawyer, journalist, legislator, politician and social reformer.
- He founded Utkal Sammilani which brought a revolution in the social and industrial development of Orissa.
- He was elected as a member of the legislative council of Bihar and Orissa Province and under the Diarchy scheme of Government of India Act, 1919
- He was appointed as Minister for Local Self-Government, Medical Public Health, Public Works in 1921.
click here for more details
(Visited 102 times, 1 visits today)
April 28, 2019