Born:28 September 1929
- She is an Indian playback singer and music director.
- She is one of the best-known and most respected playback singers in India.
- She has recorded songs in over a thousand Hindi films and has sung songs in over thirty-six regional Indian languages and foreign languages, though primarily in Marathi, Hindi, and Bengali.
- She was awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honor, in 2001,She is the second vocalist, after M. S. Subbulakshmi to receive this honor.
- She is the recipient of three National Film Awards, 12 Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards, four Filmfare Best Female Playback Awards, two Filmfare Special Awards, Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and many more.
- The Dadasaheb Phalke Award was bestowed on her in 1989 by the Government of India.
- She was the first Indian to perform in Royal Albert Hall in 1974.
- France conferred on her its highest civilian award (Officer of the Legion of Honour) in 2007.
(Visited 23 times, 1 visits today)
September 28, 2018