Krishnan Nair Shantakumari Chithra
Born: 27 July 1963
- She often credited as K. S. Chithra or simply Chithra, is an Indian playback singer and Carnatic musician from Kerala.
- She also sings Indian classical, devotional, and popular music.
- She is considered as the one among the “First ladies” of India who was honoured by the President of India.
- Chithra is a recipient of six National Film Awards (most by any female singer in India), eight Filmfare Awards South, and 36 different state film awards.
- She has won all the four south Indian state film awards.
- She was honored with India’s civilian honor Padma Shri in 2005.
- She is the first Indian woman who was honored by House of Commons, British Parliament, the United Kingdom in 1997.
- She is the only singer from India who was honored by the Government of China at the Qinghai International Music and Water Festival in 2009.
- She is conferred with the highest honour of Rotary International FOR THE SAKE OF HONOUR AWARD in 2001.
- She is the only singer from South India who has received the MTV Video Music Award – International Viewer’s Choice at Metropolitan Opera House, New York, the United States in 2001.
- In 2018, she was honoured by Mr. Craig Coughlin, Speaker of the General Assembly, New Jersey, United States of America.
- In 2019, she was honoured by Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi, sovereign ruler of the Emirate of Sharjah and a member of the Federal Supreme Council of the United Arab Emirates, UAE for successfully completing 40 years in Indian Film Industry.
- She is the only South Indian female singer who has presented her maiden concert at the world’s prestigious concert hall, Royal Albert Hall, in London in 2001.
- Her song “Kannalane/Kehna Hi Kya” from the film Bombay (1995) was included in The Guardian‘s “1000 Songs Everyone Must Hear Before You Die” list.
Click here for more details
(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)
July 27, 2020