Born: 1 June 1975
- She is a retired Indian weightlifter.
- She is the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Olympics.
- In 1995, she received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India’s highest sporting honour, and in 1999, the civilian Padma Shri award.
- She won the world title in the 54 kg division in 1994 and 1995 and placed third in 1993 and 1996.
- In 1994, she won silver at the World Championships in Istanbul and in 1995 she won the Asian Weightlifting Championships in Korea in the 54 kg category.
- She won the title in China that year with a record lift of 113 kg at the World Championships.
- Even before her Olympic win, she was a two-time weightlifting world champion with 29 international medals, which includes 11 gold medals.
- At the 2000 Sydney Olympics, she lifted 110 kg in the “snatch” and 130 kg in the “clean and jerk” categories for a total of 240 kg.
- She won the bronze medal and became the first Indian woman to win an Olympic medal.
- She is also the first and only Indian woman weightlifter to win an Olympic medal.
Click here for more details
(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today)
June 1, 2020