Kandukuri Veeresalingam Pantulu
Born: 16 April 1848
Died: 27 May 1919
- He was a social reformer and writer of Andhra Pradesh, India.
- He is considered as the Father of renaissance movement in Telugu.
- He was one of the early social reformers who encouraged women education, remarriage of widows which was not supported by the society during his time and fought against dowry system.
- He also started a school in Dowlaiswaram in 1874.
- He constructed a temple as ‘Brahmo Mandir’ in 1887 and the ‘Hithakarini School’ in 1908 in Andhra Pradesh. His novel Rajasekhara Charitramu is considered to be the first novel in Telugu literature.
- He often considered as Raja Rammohan Roy of Andhra.
- He was also known by the title Gadya Tikkana, meaning ‘Tikkana of Prose.
- He was a scholar in Sanskrit, Hindi & Telugu. Considering literature as a weapon to fight against social evils, his writings also reflected the same.
- He wrote plays criticizing the attitude of Brahmin priests such as Prahlada (1885), Satya Harischandra (1886).
click here for more details
(Visited 581 times, 1 visits today)
April 16, 2019