Born: 11 June 1937
- She is an Indian dancer, choreographer and academic best known as an exponent of Mohiniyattom.
- She is the founder-director of the Nalanda Dance Research Centre and the founder-principal of the Nalanda Nritya Kala Mahavidyalaya in Mumbai.
- She was conferred the Gaurav Puraskar by the Government of Gujarat in 1989 and the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in the Republic of India, in 1990.
- She was honoured with the title `Kala Vipanchee’ by Vipanchee, a pioneering institution for Indian music and dance, in 2005.
- In 2006, the Government of Madhya Pradesh conferred the Kalidas Samman on her for her contributions to and excellence in the field of classical dance.
- She is also a recipient of the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award and the M S Subbulakshmi Award.
- In 2013, she was conferred the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.
Click here for more details
(Visited 69 times, 1 visits today)
June 11, 2020