Born: 23 February 1840
Died: 24 July 1870
- He was a Bengali authors, playwright, and philanthropist.
- His most famous work was the translation of the ancient Hindu epic Mahabharata into Bengali.
- Hisbook Hutom Pyanchar Naksha, a compilation of satirical social sketches, is another noted work that is noted for reflecting Bengalee urban society of the time.
- He is also remembered as a philanthropist who helped several people and movements in distress.
- He also wrote several other plays, such as Babu (1854), Sabitri Satyaban (1858) and Malati Madhab (1856).
- He also edited/published several magazines like Vidyotsahini Patrika, Paridarshak, Sarvatattwa Prakashika, Bibidhartha Samgraha etc.
- He provided financial assistance to magazines like Tattabodhini Patrika, Somprakash, Mookerjee’s Magazine, Bengalee, Doorbin and Hindu Patriot.
click here for more details
(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)
February 23, 2019