Born:7 December 1928
Died:21 February 2016
- She was an Indian dancer and teacher of Indian classical dance form of Bharatnatyam.
- She was the early non-devadasi girl to learn the dance form and perform it on stage in the 1930s and 1940s.
- After a brief career in the 1940s, she returned to dance in 1973 and became a notable teacher of abhinaya.
- She was awarded the Padma Bhushan Award, India’s third highest civilian honour in 1985 ,the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Bharatnatyam in 1990, given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama.
- She was also conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi Tagore Ratna for Dance in 2011.
- In 7 December 2003, various dance teachers and her disciples, celebrated her 75th birthday at Luz Community Hall in Chennai.
click here for more details
(Visited 61 times, 1 visits today)
December 7, 2018