INS Vikrant: India’s first-ever Indigenously built Aircraft Carrier Commissioned
- INS Vikrant is an aircraft carrier constructed by Cochin Shipyard Limited for the Indian Navy.
- It is the first-ever indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier of India.
- INS Vikrant is the largest ship that has been built in India’s maritime history. It is as big as the size of two football fields.
- As per the Indian Navy, the 262-metre-long INS Vikrant has a full displacement of close to 45,000 tonnes which is much larger and more advanced than its predecessor.
- INS Vikrant carries a mix of about 30 aircraft MIG-29K fighter jets, MH-60R multi-role helicopters, and Kamov-31, in addition to indigenously built Advanced Light Helicopters and Light Combat Aircrafts.
- INS Vikrant is termed a floating city with 18 floors. It consists of 14 decks with 2,300 compartments that can carry around 1,500 sea warriors and to cater to the food requirements, around 10,000 chapatis or rotis are made in the Ship’s kitchen.
- The addition of INS Vikrant is seen as a key development for the Indian Navy.
- With the launch of INS Vikrant, India has entered the list of countries that can build such large warships indigenously. It has infused new confidence into the Indian Armed forces.
(Visited 119 times, 1 visits today)
September 2, 2022