Harekala Hajabba, Social Activist
An orange vendor by profession, Harekala Hajabba lives in the city of Mangaluru, Karnataka. His love for serving humanity by spreading the light of education made him save money from his business and build a school in his village. He bagged the Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian award, for his initiative and achievement. He also has bagged the following achievements and recognition for his noble work:
1. Social activist and writer Ismath Pajeer has published a book on Hajabba’s life, titled Harekala Hajabbara Jeevana Charitre (Life story of Harekala Hajabba).
2. A life history of Hajabba has been included in the syllabus of Mangalore University.
3. The BBC published an article on Hajabba with the title “Unlettered fruit-seller’s Indian education dream” in November 2012.
4. Hajabba was conferred with the Real Heroes Award by CNN IBN and Reliance Foundation.
5. Hajabba was named Person Of The Year by Kannada Prabha, a leading Kannada-language newspaper.