Guru Mayadhar Raut
Born: 6 July 1930
- He is an Indian classical Odissi dancer, choreographer, and Guru.
- He was born in the village Kantapenhara in Cuttack district, subsequently, he received his dance training under the Guru-shishya tradition of Odissi by Rukmini Devi Arundale at Kalakshetra.
- He is married to Mamta Khuntia, and they have one daughter and two sons; daughter Madhumita Raut is also a noted Odissi dancer.
- He has played a major role in giving Odissi its classical ‘Shastra’ based status.
- He introduced Mudra Vinyoga in 1955.
- His notable compositions include ‘Pashyati Dishi Dishi’ and ‘Priya Charu Shile’, composed in 1961.
- He is considered a master of Natyashastra and Abhinaya Darpana and has enriched the Abhinaya vocabulary of Odissi.
- He taught in Kala Vikas Kendra founded by Babulal Josi in Orissa, and trained dancers Surendranath Jena, Hare Krishna Behera and Ramani Ranjan Jena.
- He taught at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra from 1970 until 1995.
- As one of the founder member of Jayantika, an association formed in the 1950s, he has played a major role in giving Odissi its classical status.
- He is the first Odissi Guru to introduce MUDRA VINYOGA in the study of Odissi in 1955 and SANCHARIBHAVA in the Odissi dance items and also the first to present on stage enchanting Gitagovinda ASHTAPADIS, portraying SHRINGARA RASA.
- His notable compositions include ‘Pashyati Dishi Dishi’. ‘Priya Charu Shile’, composed in 1961.
- Earlier, only the Oriya songs or the ASHTAPADI ‘Lalit Lavanga Lata’ and ‘Dashavatar’ were taught and performed.
click here for more details
(Visited 45 times, 1 visits today)
July 6, 2019