Gunturu Seshendra Sarma
Born:20 October 1927
Died: 30 May 2007
- He also known as Yuga Kavi, was a Telugu poet, critic, and litterateur.
- He is well known for his works Naa Desam, Naa Prajalu and Kaala Rekha.
- He authored over fifty works that have been translated into English, Kannada, Urdu, Bengali, Hindi, Nepali and Greek.
- He is the second person to have been nominated for the Nobel Literature prize for his contribution to literary field from India, the first being Rabindranath Tagore.
- The West Bengal Government conferred upon him the title “Rashtrendu” (Moon of the Nation) in honor of his accomplishments.
- Telugu University conferred an honorary D.Litt. on him in 1994.
- He received the “Kalidas Samman” award from the Madhya Pradesh government.
- He won a Central Sahitya Akademi fellowship in 1999.
- The other important awards he received are ‘Subrahmanya Bharati Ekta Award’ from the Hindi Academy, Rashtriya Sanskriti Puraskar’, ‘Ugadi Puraskar’, ‘Tilak Award’ and ‘Sahitya Ratna 2001’ from Sri Ram Sahitya Mandal, Himachal Pradesh.
- He has been nominated as a member of the ‘Kendriya Hindi Samithi’ by Prime Minister of India. He was selected for Hamsa Award, in 2004-05, by the Govt. of AP.
Click here for more details
(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
October 20, 2019