Born:5 March 1913
Died:21 July 2009
- She was an Indian singer of the khyal genre of Hindustani classical music, who was known for her deep and powerful voice.
- She belonged to the Kirana gharana.
- She performed all over India and for All India Radio stations until 1945.
- She had initially performed light classical genres, including bhajan and thumri, but concentrated on khyal.
- Later, however, she refused to sing light classical, saying she sang only ragas.
- She served as honorary music professor of the Karnataka University.
- She gave her last concert in March 2006 to mark her 75th career year.
- She received Padma Bhushan (1971),Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1973),Padma Vibhushan (2002) and many more.
click here for more details
(Visited 104 times, 1 visits today)
March 5, 2019