Dr. Govindappa Venkataswamy
Born: 1 October 1918
Died: 7 July 2006
- He was popularly known as ‘Dr. V.’ was an Indian ophthalmologist who dedicated his life to eliminate needless blindness.
- He is best known for developing a high quality, high volume, low-cost service delivery model that has restored sight to millions of people.
- As a government servant he helped develop and pioneer the concept of eye camps and received a Padma Shri from the Government of India in 1973.
- In 1992, Venkataswamy and partners of Aravind founded Aurolab.
5.In 1996, under Venkataswamy’s leadership, the Lions Aravind Institute for Community Ophthalmology (LAICO) was founded.
- Venkataswamy is the founding member of Seva Foundation (a US-based non-profit organisation), that partnered with Aravind in the early years by widening the organisation’s access to the latest technology and skilled volunteers.
- He was recipient of the Padma Shri Award (1973).
8.He was recipient Lifetime Service Award from the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness, 1982.
- On 1 October 2018, search engine Google commemorated Dr Venkataswamy with a Doodle on his birth centenary.
- He was recipient ASCRS Ophthalmology Hall of Fame, 2004.
(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)
October 1, 2018