Born: 9 August 1993
- She is an Indian artistic gymnast.
- She first gained attention when she won a bronze medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, becoming the first Indian female gymnast to do so in the history of the Games.
- She also won a bronze medal at the Asian Gymnastics Championships and finished fifth at the 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships, both firsts for her country.
- She represented India at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, becoming the first Indian female gymnast ever to compete in the Olympics, and the first Indian gymnast to do so in 52 years.
- She attained the fourth position in the Women’s Vault Gymnastics event in Rio, with an overall score of 15.066.
- In July 2018, She became the first Indian gymnast to win a gold medal at a global event, when she finished first in the vault event of the FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Challenge Cup at Mersin, Turkey.
- She is one of the only five women who have successfully landed the Produnova, which is regarded as the most difficult vault currently performed in women’s gymnastics.
- She is a recipient of the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in the Republic of India.
- For her performance in Rio Olympics 2016, the Government of India conferred upon her the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in August 2016.
Click here for more details
(Visited 47 times, 1 visits today)
August 9, 2020