Dhirendra Nath Ganguly
Born: 26 March 1893
Died: 18 November 1978
- He better known as Dhiren Ganguly or D.G, was a Dadasaheb Phalke Award-winning and Padma Bhushan recipient film entrepreneur/actor/director of Bengali Cinema.
- He had set up a number of film production companies: Indo British Film company, British Dominion Films, Lotus Film Company.
- Later, he directed films for New Theatres.
- He produced many movies in the comedy genre.
- He was born in Calcutta and died in the same city.
- His photography book brought him in contact with J. F. Madan, who agreed to invest in his films.
- He and Madan Theatres’ manager Nitish Lahiri formed the Indo British Film Co, the first film production company owned by Bengalis, in 1918.
- Bilat Ferat (1921) (The England Returned), a silent comedy film directed by Nitish Lahiri, was the first production from this company.
- They released another two movies in 1922: Yashoda Nandan and Sadhu Aur Shaitan.
Click here for more details
(Visited 61 times, 1 visits today)
March 26, 2020