Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar & Ranbir Raj Kapoor
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar
Born: 14 December 1918
Died: 20 August 2014
- He better known as B.K.S. Iyengar, was the founder of the style of yoga known as “Iyengar Yoga” and was considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world.
- He was the author of many books on yoga practice and philosophy including Light on Yoga, Light on Pranayama, Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and Light on Life.
- He was one of the earliest students of Tirumalai Krishnamacharya, who is often referred to as “the father of modern yoga”.
- He has been credited with popularizing yoga, first in India and then around the world.
- The Indian government awarded Iyengar the Padma Shri in 1991, the Padma Bhushan in 2002 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2014.
- In 2004, he was named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine.
Ranbir Raj Kapoor
Born: 14 December 1924
Died: 2 June 1988
- He also known as “the greatest showman of Hindi cinema”.
- He was a noted Indian film actor, producer and director of Indian cinema.
- Born at Kapoor Haveli in Peshawar to actor Prithviraj Kapoor–he was a prominent member of the Kapoor family–that produced several celebrated Bollywood superstars.
- He received multiple accolades, including 3 National Film Awards and 11 Filmfare Awards in India.
- He was a two-time nominee for the Palme d’Or grand prize at the Cannes Film Festival for his films Awaara (1951) and Boot Polish (1954).
- He was called “the Clark Gable of the Indian film industry”.
- The Government of India honoured him with the Padma Bhushan in 1971 for his contributions to the arts.
- India’s highest award in cinema, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, was bestowed on him in 1987 by the Government of India.
(Visited 108 times, 1 visits today)
December 14, 2018