Born: 21 July 1912
Died: 20 August 1984
- He was an Indian music composer, lyricist, and singer of Gujarati films who composed music for over 190 Gujarati films.
- He was a winner of the Gujarat State Film award for the best lyricist and best music 25 times.
- He was honoured by the Government of India in 1970 with Padma Shri, the fourth highest Indian civilian award.
- His career started with HMV for their Young India label where he cut his first gramophone record in 1940 and debuted as a film music composer in with the Gujarati film, Mahasati Ansuya in 1943, partnering the renowned musician, Ustad Alla Rakha.
- Two more films were released the next year, Krishna Bhakta Bodana and Laheri Badmash but both were not successful.
- His first major hit came in 1948 with Gunsundari, a bilingual in Gujarati and Hindi.
- The Gujarat Rajya Sangeet Nrutya Academy awarded him the Gaurav Puraskar.
Click here for more details
(Visited 131 times, 1 visits today)
July 21, 2020