Ashwini Ponnappa Machimanda
Born: 18 September 1989
- She is an Indian badminton player who represents the country at the international badminton circuit in both the women’s and mixed doubles disciplines.
- She had a successful partnership with Jwala Gutta as the pair has won many medals in international events including a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games and bronze medals at the Uber Cup and the Asian Badminton Championships.
- They were consistently ranked among the top 20 in the BWF World Ranking reaching as high as no. 10.
- She and Gutta also won the bronze medal at the BWF World Championships in 2011, becoming the first Indian pair and women and only the second overall to win a medal at the World Championships.
- She completed her schooling in St. Francis Xavier’s Girl’s High School, Bangalore and she moved to Hyderabad for her Bachelor’s degree.
- In 2001, She won her first national title in 2004 in the sub-junior girls’ doubles category.
- She also won the national title in sub-junior girls’ doubles in 2005, and the Junior girls’ doubles National title in 2006 and 2007.
- She won the gold medal in mixed doubles and the team events at the South Asian Games held in 2010.
- In the 2010 Commonwealth Games, she won the gold medal in Women’s Doubles event pairing with Jwala Gutta, making history by winning the first gold medal for India in the event.
- Gutta and she became household names after winning the medal in front of a home crowd.
Click here for more details
(Visited 58 times, 1 visits today)
September 18, 2019