Born: 4 May 1905
Died: 20 July 1996
- She , also known as Anna Chandi, was the first female judge in India.
- She was also the first woman in India to become a High Court judge.
- She became a judge in 1937 and was, in fact, one of the first female judges in the British Empire next to Emily Murphy.Chandy was appointed as a munsif in Travancore by Sir C.P. Ramaswami Iyer, the Dewan of Travancore, in 1937.
- This made her the first female judge in India and, in 1948, she was raised to the position of District Judge.
- She became the first female judge in an Indian high court when she was appointed to the Kerala High Court on 9 February 1959.
- She remained in that office until 5 April 1967.
- In her retirement, Chandy served on the Law Commission of India and also wrote an autobiography titled Atmakatha (1973).
- She died in 1996.
click here for more details
(Visited 53 times, 1 visits today)
May 4, 2020