Ankita Ravinderkrishan Raina
Born: 11 January 1993
- She is an Indian professional tennis player and the current Indian No. 1 in women’s singles and doubles.
- She has won one WTA Challenger along with nine singles and fifteen doublestitles on the ITF Women’s Circuit.
- In April 2018, she entered the top 200 singles rankings for the first time, becoming only the fifth player representing India to achieve this feat.
- She has also won gold medals in the women’s singles and mixed-doubles events at the 2016 South Asian Games, and won a bronze medal in singles at the 2018 Asian Games.
- Playing for India at the Fed Cup, Raina has a win-loss record of 18–14.
- She has notable wins over Zhu Lin (CHN) and Yulia Putintseva (KAZ), both at the 2018 Fed Cup.
- In her junior years, she was helped by Dishman Pharmaceuticals and Chemicals to participate in overseas junior tournaments.
- Since then, she has also been supported by Bharat Forge and Lakshya.
- Most recently, she has signed sponsorship deals with the Sports Authority of Gujarat, and Yonex, and is officially employed with ONGC.
- Hence, she uses Yonex racquets and clothing.
- In 2013, she met Narendra Modi, India’s then-future Prime Minister, and was officially recognised under the Shaktidhoot scheme and hence became a part of India’s goal of reaching Olympic podiums.
Click here for more details
(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)
January 11, 2020