Anandibai Gopalrao Joshi
Born: 31 March 1865
Died: 26 February 1887
- She was one of the earliest Indian female physicians.
- She was the first woman from the erstwhile Bombay presidency of India to study and graduate with a two-year degree in western medicine in the United States.
- She was also been referred as Anandibai Joshi and Anandi Gopal Joshi where Gopal came from Gopalrao which is her husband’s first name.
- She is referred as the first lady doctor of India.
- In late 1886, she returned to India, receiving a grand welcome.
- The princely state of Kolhapur appointed her as the physician-in-charge of the female ward of the local Albert Edward Hospital.
- She died of tuberculosis early the next year on 26 February 1887 before turning 22.
- Her death was mourned throughout India.
- Her ashes were sent to Theodicia Carpenter, who placed them in her family cemetery at the Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery in Poughkeepsie, New York.
- The inscription states that she was a Hindu Brahmin girl, the first Indian woman to receive education abroad and to obtain a medical degree.
click here for more details
(Visited 64 times, 1 visits today)
March 31, 2019