Born: 27 March 1981
- He is an Indian boxer who has won several international and national boxing awards.
- He practices an “open guarded” boxing style. In 2005, the Indian government gave him the Arjuna Award for his achievements in international boxing.
- In March 2017, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, appointed Akhil Kumar along with Mary Kom as national observers for boxing.
- In 2001 he won another gold medal in the International Invitational Boxing Championship in Russia.
- He won a Gold medal in the flyweight category by defeating Vilitio M Payla (Php) by 20-16.
- He won a Best Boxer Award three times, in additions to twelve Gold, one Silver, and four Bronze medals.
- He qualified for the 2008 Olympic Games, beating among others, the silver medallist from the 2004 Summer Olympics, Worapoj Petchkoom, at the Asian boxing qualifying tournament in Bangkok.
- He received the Arjuna award in 2005.
click here for more details
(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)
March 27, 2019