Born: 5 February 1979
- He is an Indian naval officer and yachtsman, known for becoming the first Indian to complete a solo, non-stop circumnavigation of the world under sail in 2013, and his participation in the 2018 Golden Globe Race.
- Prior to his solo circumnavigation of the globe (which was called Sagar Parikrama 2), he had represented India in several international events including the 2011 Cape Town to Rio Race, the 2014 Spanish Copa del Rey race and two successive Korea Cups.
- In 2006, based on a proposal by Vice Admiral MP Awati, the navy authorized the construction of the INSV Mhadei, a sailboat, which was then sailed solo around the world by Cdr Dilip Donde in 2009-10, making four stops – Fremantle, Lyttelton, Port Stanley, and Cape Town.
- This voyage was called the Sagar Parikrama, and Tomy was chosen as its shore support crew, helping Donde stock up supplies at the four ports.
- He was a special invitee and the only Asian entrant in the 2018 edition of the solo non-stop around the world Golden Globe Race.
- After 82 days he was in the 3rd position when his boat was hit by a vicious storm in South Indian ocean dismasting the boat and inflicting severe injury to his spine.
- He was rescued after a dramatic multinational rescue effort.
- His grit and determination were praised by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi during the subsequent edition of Man ki Baat.
Click here for more details
(Visited 35 times, 1 visits today)
February 5, 2020